Our History

The beginning of Poolesville Memorial United Methodist church dates back to the early 1800’s.  The church was initially known as the Poolesville Methodist Class which was a member of the Potomac Circuit.  Circuits were prevalent during the beginnings of the Methodist church where clergy would travel to sparsely populated regions preaching to more than one congregation at a time. 

The land for the first church was donated by Major George Peter in 1820.  The church was completed in 1826 and the first pastor was Reverend Thomas W Green.  In 1833 Reverend Green was buried beneath the pulpit of the church.  This building is still standing on W. Willard Road and has been used in many capacities since its beginnings.

Shortly after the civil war in 1866, the church was divided into 2 separate churches: the Methodist Episcopal Church and the Methodist Episcopal Church South.   Most members joined the Methodist Episcopal Church South.   By 1868 the Methodist Episcopal Church South had completed a new building near Wotton Avenue for a cost of $1,500.  This building was destroyed by fire at an unknown time.

By 1892 the church had grown beyond the existing building and a new building was needed.  William Griffith provided the land and $2,000 to help build the church.  The current church resides on the land (17821 Elgin Road) donated by Mr. Griffith.  In 1893 the church was dedicated by Bishop Granbery.  In the early 1900’s this church was destroyed by fire as well.

A new building was started in 1916 on the same site and was completed in 1917 free of any debt.  On June 17, 1928 an educational annex was added and made possible by a $500 gift from Howard W. Spurrier.

By 1939 the differences that split the church were resolved and the two churches which split merged back together and are now known as the Methodist church.  In 1940 the church requested to be renamed Memorial Methodist Church of Poolesville.  On July 11, 1941 the Circuit Court of Montgomery County granted the request.